St. Michael’s is a small church lying on the north side of Oundle Road, although at a short distance from it. Some of the stonework may have been ‘recycled’ from the Roman town of Durobrivae which lies in the north east corner of the parish near to the river.
A church and priest are mentioned in the Domesday Book but the present building dates back to the 12th century whilst the aisles and tower are 13th and early 14th centuries. In the 17th century the chancel and the porch were rebuilt for Robert Pigott, Lord of the Manor. Since then there has been no new building only constant restoration and repair. The most recent repairs to the tower and the nave roof were financed by American descendents of the Beville family who were Lords of the Manor before they emigrated in the early 17th century.
Inside the church there is a beautiful Early English tower arch and on the lower portion of the tower are Early English lancet windows. Three bells hang in the tower, the earliest cast by John Walgrave in approximately 1440.
There are some very interesting monuments in the church. At the east end of the north aisle is a monument to two generations of Robert Bevilles and their wives, dated 1611. Near to this is the tomb of William Beville set in the wall in an arch and constructed in the late 15th century. West of these tombs are floor monuments to members of the Bayley family, a number of whom died in infancy. At the east end of the south aisle is a monument to John Driden (cousin of the Poet Laureate, John Dryden),dated 1712?. The Drydens (Dridens) had intermarried with the Bevilles. On the south side of this aisle is a wall monument to Richard Edwards, who may be related to a family of the same name commemorated in Water Newton church.